A good friend passed along this insanely awesome Huffington Post article by the Hannah Brencher and it was lovely beyond words. She shares 25 pieces of advice for women and I wanted to re-share a few of my favorites from the awesome list. Definitely read the whole article though! xo
1. Life is a steep, uphill battle but it’s fierce and it’s beautiful and you’ll be sad to see it go if you live it right.
2. New people won’t stop coming into your life and opportunities won’t stop knocking on the door but you need to have the space for them. In all you currently have — be they relationships or obligations — step back and ask yourself “why.” If you can find the answer, hold tighter. If the answer escapes you, it’s time to let something go.
3. You should resolve to be awesome for the rest of your life. Right now. Do it.
4. Leggings, no matter how much we wish, will never one day magically transform into pants. Wearing them with tops that don’t cover your bum is not cute. Please, please, please stock up on pants.
5. Goals are not a January 1st kind of thing. Set them weekly. Set them monthly. Set them so that you are moving forward and always trying to progress. Life can grow stagnant without them… beware.
7. Confidence is a sexy thing. Guys dig it. Girls dig it. We all dig it.
8. I agree with Bruno Mars and, if I were a good singer, I’d serenade you alongside him in singing how I hope he buys you flowers… and holds your hands… and takes you to parties if you like to dance. You deserve that. Always. Don’t think you should have less than that. You are worthy beyond words, gal.
9. And maybe Bruno Mars should be president because he’s also right to say that you are amazing. Just the way you are. No frills. No big introductions. You’re unlike anyone else and you should lean into that every morning. Every evening. Every hour.
10. Your spirit will never benefit from shallow people. You gotz to cut the toxic out of your life, boo.
11. And if you make mean comments, and you talk about people behind their back without ever trying to love them or see where they are coming from, you MIGHT be the toxic one. Oof. I’m not trying to burn you, just trying to say that relationships are too valuable to muddy them up with what you perceive to be the shortcomings of someone else. Big girls do bigger things than that.
13. Nude pumps. They’re good for the soul. They are a must-have in any serious closet. Buy a pair one day and I can promise your whole entire style statement will benefit from them.
14. Here’s the truth: you are going to waste a lot of hours focusing on who you are not, or who you want to secretly be. But you won’t ever wake up and actually be that person. You’ve got to embrace what you bring to the table. If you don’t like what that is, have the courage to change it.
15. The world does not revolve around us. Turns out that we are just little points of punctuation in a much bigger story glittered with periods and commas and dashes. How are you helping that story to be better? How are you being the best dang point of punctuation that you can be?
18. No matter how tech savvy we get, there is a need to say things to a person’s face. Please, for the love of lovelier things, have the courage to call someone up and verbalize your thoughts or meet for a coffee. Breaking a heart is hard stuff, stopping a relationship is never fun, but there will never be anything as loud as this statement: You are worth my words. You are worth my presence. You are worth, and will always be worth, more than just letters on a screen and a broken heart jammed in the crooks of an overflowing inbox. Face to face connections are fading faster, please don’t let them get away…
19. First impressions are important. Really. That truth never changes. So refer to point #4. Really meditate on it.
20. No matter what kind of interview you are gearing up for, there are certain standards you should always hold yourself to: wearing something other than jeans, not talking out your phone during the interview, sending a handwritten note afterwards. An interview means you want something but it doesn’t mean they have to give it to you.
21. Regret is a real thing. It’s going to happen. It’s going to come clomp-clomp-clomping into your life at some point. Don’t hold onto things forever but learn from them and let the past go. The past will be a dictator if you let her.
24. Facebook is a tricky thing. This is an invitation to step back and ask yourself, should I really post that? In the days of diaries, we never had to worry about this. Now all that we say is a microphone so be very, very careful. Here’s a link to all the best quotes from Maya Angelou. The next time you feel like posting something really ugly that you are going to regret, take a stab at one of these instead.
25. Darling, darling — the victim song is never going to fit you. It will never be good enough for your lungs. It will never be good enough for your time. You are stronger than you know and more graceful than you know. Don’t let the parts of you that want to be a victim live on any longer. You’ve got a voice… you’ve got a story… Do us all a favor and use it. Without any apologies. Without any stepping back. If ever you need a listener, come find me…